Ben has been doing well eating. He is taking about 8 oz. of food and we feed him 4 times a day. We get 2 meals in before his nap and 2 meals after. He is stuck at 8 oz. and we are having a difficult time moving beyond that, but I do hope we can soon. More volume in a meal means less meals that have to be fed. Ideally, he would eat 11-12 oz. 3 times a day, but that seems like it is light years away. If we go over 8 oz. right now, he will throw up, so I try not to push it too much. I get very discouraged when he throws up everything I worked so hard to put into him.
To add something new, I thought I'd write a few of the things he eats. As I had said before in one of my posts, I just have to think out of the box a bit. I would have never thought to do this before. As I have been preparing his foods, I have learned a lot through trial and error. Some things just shouldn't be pureed, and some things work really well. Ben's food must be pureed like second stage baby food. Lumps will make him gag and throw up. My older kids get a kick out of Ben's menu, and the appearance of his pureed food. All in all, he has a fairly balanced diet I think, actually better than my other kids.
Breakfast
Eggs and ham, oatmeal, rice cereal, strawberries, blackberries, yogurt, pears, applesauce
Lunch and dinner
Asparagus and potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, ham, chicken and applesauce, chicken and pears, rice pasta and marinara sauce, ham and northern beans, beans and marina sauce
Tips and lessons learned the hard way
Rice pasta goes a very, very, very long way
Rice pasta gets very gelatinous
Blackberries must be strained, they're seedy
Asparagus must be strained in a larger mesh strainer, it has fibrous strings
Water, water, water-- successful pureeing requires a lot of liquid (if milk can be used, use it and add the calories)
Cheese does not puree well, I don't recommend it
Use a variety of things to boost (add calories) i.e. olive oil, canola oil, butter, coconut milk, sugar, maple syrup
Pureeing takes a lot of time and planning!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Jenn-
You are awesome thinking outside the box. Just think of how inspiring you are and what a help you can be to other parents that are given these same trials. Thank goodness kids are so cute. The gypsies would have been called long ago if they weren't.
Have a fabulous day.
Jenna
Hi Jen
So glad to hear that you and Ben are doing well.. i often checked this blog and was wondering when you would update. Seems like he has come a long way -- hope the clinic will be able to help with chewing too.
Take care
thais
Post a Comment