Friday, December 15, 2006

Catching Up

I haven't blogged in a week or so, and I need to catch up. Ben has completely gotten over his cold, and is back to making progress. His food volumes have increased, as well as his variety. He has gained back what he lost from being so sick. He continues to be the happiest kid here, and the staff loves his enthusiasm.

I am amazed at what the clinic purees. I think I will just have to think out of the box. Some of the interesting items have been pureed eggs, cantalope, and asparagus. Sometimes I find it difficult to feed him because the food smells to me, like the asparagus and peas. I like those foods myself, just not pureed.

Seeing how long the road is for Ben is overwhelming. The fact that chewing continues to be a complete mystery is troubling, but he is willing to try now. He has no connection between feeling hungry, and knowing how to satisfy that. He appears not to feel hungry at all. Meals will have to be scheduled and structured for a long time. His feeding therapist says that connection often comes down the road, and I truly hope that is the case. I hope he reaches a point in his life in which food finally brings him pleasure.

1 comment:

Aussie Sue said...

Jenn,
So glad to hear you're surviving! We all miss you. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers; what you're doing is learning just as Ben is, and you're teaching us the example of patience and long-suffering - as is Ben. Can't wait to see you and your family all together. Take care and forgive me for not writing sooner...

Love,
Sue