Monday, February 22, 2010

Plans are Complete, My Goals for Ben Listed!

We were up till midnight on Thursday making plans for this week. There were a few unknowns to work around, such as funeral details, but we hammered out most everything else. By Friday afternoon I was feeling calm, and ready to get packing.

I wanted to list my goals for our trip to the clinic. I have a few in mind. I know that last time we did an intensive feeding clinic, I thought Ben would come out eating pizza and regular foods. I did not know that they make the kids go back to purees, and work up from there. I did not realize that Ben's meager eating skills that he had before he was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis were a use or lose set of skills. I now believe that when eating is completely unnatural to a person, they will lose those skills when there is a lengthy interruption, such as what happened when Ben had an NG tube, then G-tube. I don't begrudge the tube, it took him from being a failure to thrive child, to being on the growth charts for the first time in his life. I did celebrate when he finally reached twenty pounds at the age of 19 months. So, my goals for this stay are fairly simple, and I know not to expect him to be eating steak and potatoes when he is done.

1. Be more independent when self-feeding. (less prompts)

2. Eat a soft diet, and no more purees. (more age approriate)

3. Eat a balanced diet.

4. Be able to take in more calories naturally, and less from calorie-boosting.

That is about it. Simple. The hard part is getting him to achieve those goals. After the first couple days at the clinic, Ben will be given their plan of action. Hopefully my goals will match theirs, and they will know how to help Ben progress.

No comments: