Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Benny's Blog

Monday, Nov. 13, 2006
I tried feeding Ben yogurt this weekend, but failed miserably. I was excited by his progress at the end of the week, but I guess I will have to rebuild that trust with Ben. Today he was amazing. He was willing to eat 3 oz. at a sitting. It was still vanilla soy yogurt, and whole milk to drink, but 3 oz. is huge for him.
Today we also had his initial team meeting in which we discussed his goals. The whole team was there, including the feeding therapists, behavioral psych, the social worker, a pediatrician. I explained my goals, and they explained how they set theirs. My goals for Ben are:
1. Get off the tube!!!!!!!!
2. Increase the amount of food he can/will take in a meal
3. Be able to hydrate himself completely, consistently
4. Add variety of foods, textures
5. Have age appropriate self-feeding skills
The clinic sets goals that can be accomplished in 1-2 wks. at a time, mainly for insurance purposes.
I was basically happy with the meeting.
Another meeting I had today was Ben's nutrition meeting. I expressed my frustration with trying to get his Prevacid in 30 min. before a tube feeding, giving 3 oz. of Miralax (a prescribed laxative), then adding 4 oz. of formula to a tiny tummy. Our solution...cut out the first tube feeding of the day. I will feel like I am on vacation by not having to worry about that.
So, it was a very busy and eventful day, and I feel good about it.

No comments: