Monday, November 27, 2006

Honeymoon is Over

This weekend was both wonderful and difficult. As for wonderful, Ben played in leaves and "helped" us rake them, thus conquering his fear of leaves. He and "Papa" have been doing leaf therapy at night. They go out and walk, jump, and crunch in the leaves. Papa is in the family we are staying with, and Ben absolutely loves him. Ben also ate well for me. I had to feed him twice a day by mouth, and I worked very diligently at doing this as I had been instructed. I learned that bananas had to be thinned down some or he would gag to death on them. He learned to enjoy pureed peaches a bit more. For all of my efforts, I was rewarded with Ben's 4 oz. weight gain. ;o)
As for the difficult part of the weekend, I was the only one that could feed Ben. Since I am the only one trained in the protocol, I was the only that could feed him. This has worn me down. It is a good thing to be able to hand him off once in a while. Getting everything set up to feed him, then getting mentally prepared for the feeding takes a huge amount of energy. I was never sure if I would succeed or fail in my efforts. Thankfully he did well eating, and other than feeling blue and homesick, I do feel like I was a success. Also, on Sunday, I helped in the children's nursery at church. At snack time, all the kids (ages 18 mo to 3 yrs) sat down at the table and eagerly ate their snacks. I gave Ben 1 Gerber food puff and he mashed it into pieces, then threw it down. The 2 raisins he was given were both thrown. His one oz. of water was dumped out onto the table. I usually don't let that scene get to me, but it killed me on Sunday. I felt so discouraged. Is this kid ever going to want to sit down and snack, or am I always going to have to initiate, set up, and jump through hoops to get him to put one bite into his mouth? I just want him to be normal. Sometimes I sit back and look at my situation, and I marvel at how something as natural as eating, could ever be so unnatural to him.

Today, he has a cold. He has been really gaggy. He has thrown up during a couple of his feedings. Earlier today, he got into a coughing fit and threw up everything from his most recent feeding. On a good note, if he can keep his food down, all day time tube feedings have been cut, and the overnight one is reduced. Happiness is not tube feeding! So, I guess the honeymoon is over, and I am now on an amazing rollercoaster ride. I will take the good with the bad, and keep hoping for better days and for a child that will eat. Slowly, I am on my way there....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn
It must be hard to be away from home and to be dealing with so many emotions... it is a rollercoaster ride but hopefully the tendency is to go up and up... seems like Ben is doing well. He reminds me of Matthew so much, with all the gagging etc..
Keep it up... it seems like he has done well with the program so far and hopefully that means that they understand what makes him click!!
Take care
Thais (matthewmama)

Lee-Ann said...

Good for you Jenn. I am sure it must be hard, but day by day you are doing it. Look at the progress Ben is making because of your sacrifice. I'm sure it is tough on everyone. I was away from my family for 6 weeks at this exact time last year. It was so hard, but a year later things are so different. Hang tough.
Love ya,
Lee-Ann