Monday, April 05, 2010

I'm Going In!

Ben is doing remarkably well. He is making incredible gains here, and he is having a blast. When he is not eating, he is often in the playroom. He has made it his duty to cheer up any sad kids, and is getting quite the reputation for being social, energetic, and fun. He has even got a secret admirer in a little girl who has crush on him. The lady at the hospital who sells stamps loves to see him running down the hall, and swears that she is going to bottle his energy and sell it. That's Mr. Ben.

In his meals, his plate is looking more and more typical. For dinner this afternoon, he was served peas, applesauce (a new food for him, see post from 10/29/2009), yogurt, and 1/3 peanut butter and jelly sandwich. They are keeping some purees in his meal so that he does not get too tired from all of the chewing. The clinic also serves him a totally different combination of foods at each meal, as they have noticed he likes things to be the same, and it rocks his world when they are different. He needs to adjust to constant change.

Tomorrow, I will be worked into his meals. I will do a role play with his therapist to practice, and then will start sitting in the room with the data takers, and then will eventually feed him. They want to watch me feed him to see if any problem behaviors come up for me. They said parents have a way of bringing that out in their kids...imagine that. They will also train me to introduce new foods to him so that he understands that I will definately be doing that, and he will definately be learning to eat that food. They said I will introduce atleast two while I am here. That is my biggest concern, and I am so happy that they will be addressing that. They will also help me come up with a plan for school lunches and snacks next year. Hooray for all day kindergarten!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Wow! Big steps for Ben! We are rootin' for ya! This new step sounds very helpful!