Friday, April 09, 2010

Stressed by a Peanut Butter Sandwich

As I said, I am doing the feeding now. I am happy to be the "boss," as Ben calls it, but it is much more difficult than I thought. When I feed him, there are two data takers in the room tapping away on their computers, evaluating every move that Ben and I take. This afternoon, the stress of being dissected at each moment was almost too much. I know they have to be in there, and I know their data is important, but I am struggling with being in the hotseat, and thinking on my feet is a substantial shortcoming for me.

The food that is throwing me off is the PB sandwich. I have to judge each bite's size, and decide if it is big enough to count as the size of a green pea. If it is a big enough bite, I praise him, and we move on. If the bite is more of a nibble, then I ignore it, and do not reset the timer until he takes an appropriate size bite, or the time allowed per bite is up. It all boils down to a judgment call, and you do not have time to second guess yourself. The thing that makes this burdensome for me is the two data takers sitting there evaluating my actions. I am trying to block them out. I thought their poker faces were hysterical until I found myself under their magnifying glass.

Being a self-proclaimed foodie, I have to mention the delectable dinner that was brought in tonight. A yummy salad, crab chowder, crabcakes, grilled chicken (which was so moist), ribeye steak, grilled fresh veggies, and a vast array of dreamy desserts. I had to take a picture of my plate so that I could savor the memories. Sadly, I was too beaten down by the sandwich stress to work out today, and was completely lacking in enough self control to resist the creamy chowder and dessert. I glutted shamelessly.

I may not love the freakish pedestrians, and am stupified by the city drivers, but the generosity of the community is remarkable. Many people here are the epitome of charity.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Good. You glut on that chowder. Sounds worth the calories. I'm jealous.

I'd probably freak out about the bites too; it sounds very stressful. Does it help to think that you are there to be taught feeding techniques, not to be perfect yet? Maybe you could imagine the data takers are really posting pointless comments on their Facebook: "Still at work." "My foot itches." "Brushed my teeth this morning."

At any rate, I despise it when I feel like people are watching me like that. When my kids act up in the store, I just stop looking t people because I don't want to know if they are looking at me and I don't want to see the looks on their faces. Aargh.

Unknown said...

Wow! That's the stuff nervous break downs are made of. Downright Orwellian! If it's any consolation, I think I'd wilt under the pressure.