Thursday, April 01, 2010

Top 3 Traffic Maneuvers

I've only briefly mentioned the driving here, but it is a daily challenge that I have to face. It takes all of the courage and patience that I can muster to deal sanely with the insanity. So, I've done a bit of driving around today, and I've collected my top 3 favorite traffic conundrums, in no particular order.
1.) A lady in front of me comes to a full and complete stop at a green light, as if it is red, and continues to sit there for the duration of the green and the red light. She completely disregarded my Sentra's little bleating horn.
2.) A pedestrian runs directly in front of me as I am driving about 35 mph. I slam my brakes, and he continues across the lane to my right, causing a similar reaction from the car next to me. The pedestrian continues on as if the onslaught of screeching cars never existed at all.
3.) A man on his bike rides toward me head on in the center of my lane, as I am driving toward him. A very lopsided game of chicken? Insanity? No, just another normal day on the streets here.

I am enjoying my journey with Ben much more than my journeys on the road. Today he ate chocolate pudding. He loved it the first time he tried it, but at dinner, he made some crazy faces as he choked it down. It is replacing the pureed peaches in his regular meals. When he is comfortable with the pudding, it will be replaced by another puree that I can conveniently purchase, like applesauce, hummus, or refried beans. They are trying to decrease my workload, and I am thrilled with that thought. I will not shed a tear when I no longer have to make baby food.

Today Ben's carrots were removed form his meal, and he was given 20 green peas to eat. He did very well with them. He only eats one at a time, but the fact that he will willingly eat something green is fabulous. He was also presented with three choices at dinner: pancakes with syrup, pieces of bread with peanut butter, and diced boiled egg. I was surprised that he chose the two pieces of bread. I thought he would choose the pancakes, but then I saw that they were purple, as they are blueberry, and then I realized that was too foreign to him. They have also noticed that he will go for something familiar to him, even if he does not like it yet. He has been working on peanut butter in OT. So for dinner, he ate yogurt, pudding, 20 peas, raisins, diced apples, and two small pieces of bread. Not bad.

I ate lunch at a garden area near the building we go to. It was an absolutely gorgeous day. I soaked up the rays of sunshine and basked in its warmth. It made me miss my Arizona sunshine. On the way there, my friend offered Ben a blueberry. When he saw his good buddy eat one (a first for his friend, too), Ben grabbed one, and put the whole berry in his mouth. That was amazing! The fact that he put a wet food into his mouth, and that he put the whole berry into his mouth is wonderful. He topped it all off by eating one more blueberry. This clinic is a miracle.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

Way to go Ben!

Katie said...

Yay, Ben! Welcome to the wonderful world of blueberries!

I have heard people complain about the traffic here (and the cutips are a legitimately danger) but this here is nothing compared to back east. Civilization has ceased to exist among drivers there.