I have to comment on the acts of service that have been provided to us. I am completely overwhelmed and amazed at what the community does for us. Last week Ben was given a Build-A-Bear. Until tonight, I did not know who or what organization had provided it. I figured it was an organization, because he was not the only child to get one, and the price tag indicated that Ben's bear "Scott," as Ben has affectionately named him, is $15. I have been asking for the name of the donor for a few days, because I want to write a thank you note. Tonight, while I was on the treadmill, and already out of breath, I was told who had given Scott to us. It was a 10 year old little girl, who decided she would give away as many as she possibly could. She began doing this about 15 months ago, and thus far has placed 184 bears. I was completely breathless when I found out. At 10 years of age, she cannot possibly have a high paying job. She gives all of her birthday and Christmas money away, and any other money she gets. Her name is Lucie, and I submit that she is a true disciple of Christ. She has completely forgotten herself, and compassionately gives to others who are in need. What an example!
In the evenings, people come in and do projects with the kids. Some of the projects are very simple, and some are not. Tonight, "Miss Trina" came in and read a bedtime story, then did a craft, and provided a snack that went along with the story. We made treasure boxes, and she gave the parents a small card that we could write a message for our child on, because that would be a treasure fit for the box. Next she gave each child one bead, and each parent a bead for each loved one they were separated from. She asked me how many I needed, and I laughed, because I have left my other 4 kids and a spouse behind. Lots! She explained that those represented our heart, and when we missed those others, we could hold their beads close to our hearts and feel closer to them. She gave me a set of beads to mail home. Simple, but heartfelt activities. I hope I can carry this attitude of giving to others back home, and pay it forward. Truly, charity never faileth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Gives me hope for the world and makes me grateful.
This is the sweetest post. I am so inspired. Thanks!
Post a Comment