Thursday, March 25, 2010

Great Ending to a Tough Day

(see previous post first) I have good news to report. For dinner, Ben was given his 3 oz. yogurt, 2 oz. peaches, and 1 oz. diced apples, and 4 slices of canned carrots. He began with the apples, and it still took him a long time to get through them, but he accomplished that more quickly than he did the raisins. He lost 7 of the 8 reminders, but was very aware that he still had one more chance. He gobbled the yogurt, made it through the peaches, and gagged nicely on the first carrot slice, but ate the next three like a pro. He drained his milk with lightning speed, and had 48 seconds left on the clock. Toward the end of the meal, his feeding therapist was definately pulling for him. She is usually a machine, and probably broke protocol a bit by showing happiness, but I think she knew how difficult lunch was for us. Ben burst through the door that leads to the hallway where I pretend I've been sitting all along, and I gathered him in my arms, and we celebrated together. Talk about joy! He is Level 3 once again. Congratulations Ben!

7 comments:

Geoff said...

Missing you guys, hang in there!

Katie said...

Yippee, skippee! Way to go, Benny! Way to watch the clock. Good skills. Gracie spent 4 hours on her math assignment yesterday. Benny could teach her a thing or two!

Vowell Family said...

Yay for Benny and Yay for you too Jen!

Kristi said...

Hooray! So good to hear that he had a good ending to the day!

Andrea said...

Wonderful!

Karen said...

You wouldn't think that such simple things could give so much joy but when you see your child overcome something that is so hard for them it is so thrilling to celebrate their success with them!! So proud of both of you!!! Keep it up!!

Heidi said...

You and Benny need a big plaque that says "I can do hard things!" Way to go!!