Thursday, March 25, 2010

Heartbreak on Level 2

I usually don't post during the day, but I have some time since Ben is Level 2. This time it is not a bad thing, except for the fact that it is killing me to carry out the consequence. He did great at breakfast. He raced through his yogurt, then tackled his peaches, and decided that he made it too difficult for himself last night with the carrots, and willingly ate both slices of carrot. He earned Level 3 again, and we celebrated by playing with the hula hoops. Because of his success in the first meal, they decided to increase some demand by adding raisins to chew, and 2 additional carrots. I thought that sounded reasonable, as he needs to learn to chew efficiently in a meal setting. I was pumped.

For lunch, they presented 3 oz. yogurt, 2 oz. pureed peaches, 1 oz. raisins, and 4 carrot slices. He had 8 reminders available for taking bites, and 25 minutes to get it accomplished. He chose to begin with the raisins. He worked, and chewed on that ounce of raisins, and it took 20 minutes to get it done. Yikes! I was biting my nails, sweating bullets, and cheering for him. Could he do the impossible in 5 minutes? No. But I saw Ben attempt the impossible with his whole heart and soul. He ate quicker than I've ever seen him go. He slurped the milk down, and gagged on the first carrot, but ate the next 3 readily. Wow! What a guy! I believe the level system works for him. Sadly, he just couldn't get through those raisins in time. Because it took him so long to chew, he was still chewing when the time per bite expired, and it counted against him as a reminder. OOoohh, the pain in my heart for him as I watched him learn that he didn't make it for level 3 when he earnestly tried.

He ran from the room, and fell into my arms sobbing. I sobbed too. It was too much for me to take. I am almost never emotional, but that was too much for me. I would have to carry out a consequence for something I knew he had given heart and soul to prevent. There are not words for how I have been feeling about this, but I had agreed to be consistent no matter what.

They will tweak dinner tonight so that he has a fair chance to earn Level 3 again. I don't think they knew how difficult chewing is for him. I didn't think being consistent would be so difficult for me.

4 comments:

Geoff said...

Wishing I could be there.

Katie said...

Oooh, that's harsh! Kudos to Benny for really trying! Maybe if he had his raisins boiled in the good stuff like mom does. . .

Kristi said...

That made me start to tear up as I was reading that. That does seem like a hard thing to have to go through.

Karen said...

awwww :( I'm so sorry!!1 This is just as tough for you as it is for him!! You guys can do it though!!! I know Heavenly Father can comfort and help you. Give him extra hugs!!!