Sunday, March 21, 2010

Not A Level 3 Weekend

The Level 3 momentum did not carry over into the weekend. He was back to his same old charming self during meals. I fed him most of his food, and he put up some lovely resistance. I was not given any instructions for this weekend by the clinic, and so I did what I always do. We spent Saturday and most of today at my sister's house (love you sis!), and with the distraction of lots of little ones, he had a difficult time. Breakfast today was particularly tough, and I finally grabbed my nephew's high chair, and put Ben into it. Thank goodness he is a small 5 year old and fit nicely in the chair, or I am pretty sure I would still be chasing his mouth with a spoon of watery oatmeal.

Tomorrow Ben starts the "early block." I noticed there was a vacancy for that slot, and leaped at the chance to go, see, conquer, and get home early. I was finding that by the time he finished at the hospital on the late block, we drove home, I worked out and ate dinner, I was not able to find time to feed Ben one more meal. He was then hungry at bedtime, and I don't like to fill my little ones with liquid at bedtime. I am grateful the therapists let me change. (My therapy is working out. I felt a bit selfish trying to change the schedule so that I could fit that in each afternoon, but I feel like a happy, balanced mommy leads to a happy Ben.)

Sometime tomorrow, probably not at breakfast, Ben will be required to eat more than two bites of a typical textured food. He has been offered three choices: 2 bites of chopped apple, 2 bites of clementine orange slices, or 2 bites of pureed garbanzo beans. Yep, he really didn't go for those beans. He has been choosing apples the past few days. They will increase the number of bites of those choices, then start decreasing the number of foods he likes, and increasing the number of new foods. I suppose that they manipulate his choices without making Ben feel powerless. It will be interesting to see how this goes. It sound so simple here.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Yay for sisters! I'm so glad that you got to go hang out there! And yes, a happy, balanced mommy is better for everybody. I know this concept well!

Pam Agren said...

Mom says...
Hey Jenn, love your format, it is so cute. This is a big day for me just like Ben. It is my first blog reply. Hats off to Ben for the apple and clementine, I know he'll get onto it soon. We are all praying for you both. Lots of LOve