I'm now over my pity party, and am ready to go. I kept Ben home on Monday, so he would not spread anything, but he was climbing the walls, and making me crazy. We went outside to play for a while, and basked in the warm sunlight, something I miss while I sit in a hospital everyday. I also cleaned the room we stay in, did laundry, and cleaned the bathroom. Many of you know that my favorite chore is to clean bathrooms; it is great therapy for me. Having accomplished so much in a morning was somehow fulfilling, and just what I needed.
Today the clinic offered Ben a new food--pureed chickpeas in broth. He was not a happy camper about this at all. He shoved the cup away, declared that he wouldn't eat it, and that was that. He did take one bite, but gagged heartily on it. They were trying to see how much prompting he would need to get some bites down. He was able to get out of eating it today, but tomorrow he has a whole new thing coming. He will have to eat it. They will hold his spoon to his mouth until he takes the bite. They will gradually increase the number of bites required, then try a new food. I am truly looking forward to watching that go down in the morning.
This week I am enjoying the opportunity to meet so many people from around the world. I've met someone from Panama, and tonight I spoke with a family from Chile. Only the mom speaks English, and she began learning it when her daughter was diagnosed with her condition, and she realized that the best care would be here in America. They have made multiple trips to the US for treatment. I cannot imagine how difficult that would be to come to a foreign country to get medical help, when you have little or no resources, including language. She is a neat lady.
We have also been the recipients of wonderful acts of service. I am going to go buy thank you cards, because I am needing them in a big way. Today Ben received a beautiful quilt, handmade. He wrapped himself in it, then took a nap. He named it Charlie. He will be making the quilter a thank you card tomorrow, as it came with a name and address. It was donated through Project Linus. I feel truly blessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment