I thought that treatment had begun last week with the level system, but I was surprised to find out I was wrong. After I got home last night, and had time to ruminate, I realized that things were not moving as quickly as I had hoped. We are 3 1/2 weeks into this, and no treatment package. I went in to the hospital this morning feeling frustrated about that, then found out one of the other kids has a stomach bug, had diarrhea, and vomitted all over the floor, and proceeded to go to the playroom to play all day. Then, when I asked about feeding Ben steamed frozen peas instead of canned, I was told that it would be a bit hard to do, but they would try to clear it with the nutritionist. My day was off to a bad start.
I caught the nutritionist as she walked in the door for work, and I worked things out with her. I couldn't understand what was so hard about microwaving a handful of frozen green peas. I certainly don't feed my family canned peas at home. She is onboard, and gave clearance for the use of frozen peas, carrots, and green beans. I prefer fresher veggies, and I think it would be better for Ben, too. One problem solved.
Next, I discussed my concerns about his treatment plan, or the lack thereof, with his feeding therapist. She reminded me that she has to follow the plans the behavioral psych doctor gives her, but that she agreed that we should be able to get going. She would go to bat for me. Problem two almost solved.
As for the sick kid, I explained my concerns to my social worker during our standing appointment we have every Wednesday at 2 pm. I told her that I, and another mom, had chosen to keep our kids out of the playroom for the day because stomach bugs are very serious in our kids. I don't understand why two healthy kids should be kept out of the playroom so that a sick kid could play all day. A few weeks ago, the RN was monitoring another child's fever while we were in there playing. Is there a playroom or sick kid policy? Problem 3 being researched.
Dinner was our first treatment meal. It went very well...initially. He raced through his yogurt, slugged his way through the peaches, and was getting excited to earn his Level 3 Badge again. His motivational plan is back, and is part of his treatment. Then came the carrot slices from a can. I could almost hear the sound of car brakes skidding as I watched him try to take a bite. He refused the carrots, but this time, refusal is not an option. He is required to take a bite, and keep that bite in. He spit, coughed, screamed, hit, and threw up again, and again. The behavioral psych told me that the initial sessions can be hard to watch because of that, but I assured her that I was no stranger to this behavior. In the end, he took his two bites of carrots, but he did not like it. When he failed to earn his Level 3, he looked completely crestfallen.
On the drive home Ben suggested that I should've prayed. I asked him what he meant by that. He said I should've prayed that he could eat today. Man, that little guy has faith. I told him that we could pray in the morning before we go to the hospital. I do pray for him. I pray morning and night for him, as I have for years. Friends and family have prayed and continue to pray for him. I do love Ben's faith.
Tonight I am tired. The battles have worn me out. I am looking forward to going to bed. Tomorrow will be a better day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ben I'm so proud of you! You are working so hard!
See you soon.
XO,
Ms. Jennie
Wow. Those are some battles to fight. A barfing (sick) kid in a feeding clinic? You'd think they'd be all over that. What are they going to do if all their patients get a tummy bug? Seems like a no brainer to me. Canned peas, too. Eww..
Tell Benny that you guys are in all of our prayers too.
hang in there!!! We are praying for you both!! I definatly wouldn't eat canned peas, carrots or whatever YUCK!!!! We love you!
Post a Comment